Have some leftover cooked chicken and don’t know what to do with it? How about a chicken pot pie with a gluten free crust – that actually tastes good?! (Seriously, I’ve served it to two non-Celiac people, and they loved it!) And instead of a heavy cream-based filling, this recipe uses chicken stock (or even better – super gut-nourishing bone broth!). You can customize the veggies based on your personal preferences/tolerances. I chose carrots, celery, onion, broccoli & sweet potatoes to accommodate my food allergies, but really any mix of veggies would taste just as yummy.
Chicken Pot Pie
2 cups gluten-free flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour)
1/2 tsp salt (I like Trader Joe’s Himalayan Pink Salt Crystals)
1/2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1/2 tsp vanilla
4 Tbsp cold water
1 Tbsp ghee (or olive oil/coconut oil)
3 cups diced vegetables (I chose carrots, celery, onion, broccoli & sweet potato)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast, cut into small cubes
1 cup chicken stock (or bone broth – LOVE bone broth!!)
2 Tbsp tapioca starch
- Make the pie dough by stirring the flour, salt, butter, applesauce and vanilla into a large bowl. Combine ingredients until it forms a crumbled texture – you may need to use your fingers to really work in the butter.
- Add the cold water, combine until absorbed and a smooth dough ball can be formed.
- Form the dough into a ball, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
In the meantime…
- Heat the ghee on medium heat in a large skillet. Add the vegetables and ginger, sauteing until tender.
- Add the cubed chicken and chicken stock to the skillet, let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tapioca starch to thicken mixture, stirring until well combined.
- Remove skillet from heat and set filling aside.
Putting it all together…
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Coat a pie plate with coconut oil or ghee.
- Divide dough in half. Lightly flour your working surface and roll out each half until you have two circles, each about 1/4 inch thick.
- Press one dough circle into the pie plate, completely covering the bottom & sides.
- Scoop chicken-vegetable mixture into pie plate, spreading it out evenly over the surface.
- Use the remaining circle of dough to cover the top of the pie. Pinch the seams where the bottom and tops meet, and remember to cut slits into the top for steam to escape.
- Bake for ~30 minutes, until the crust is lightly browned.