I’ve been searching and searching for a gluten-free & egg-free biscuit recipe, and was about to just give up, when my mother came across this recipe from Nourishing Meals. These biscuits were fantastic! This recipe can be made dairy-free as well, substituting hemp/nut/coconut milk for the dairy milk and coconut oil/palm shortening for the butter. Be sure to check out the original recipe for lots of great tips for making successful gluten-free biscuits.
Dinner Biscuits (gluten free & egg free!)
(makes 16 biscuits)
1 1/2 cups sorghum flour
1/2 cup sweet rice flour (we just used Bob’s Red Mill white rice flour)
1/2 cup tapioca flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup butter (Kerrygold is my favorite!) – can substitute coconut oil or palm shortening for dairy-free version
1 cup milk – can substitute coconut/hemp/nut milk for dairy-free version
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine flours, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt in large bowl.
- Use hands to work in the butter until texture is crumbly.
- Quickly & gently stir in milk with a fork.
- Form dough into a ball and place on lightly floured surface.
- Use hands to pat dough into a square, about 1 1/4″ thick.
- Use a large knife to cut into 16 individual squares.
- Bake biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet for 10-15 minutes.
These biscuits taste great smothered in butter – and jam would taste great too!