Chocolate Birthday Cake (gluten, egg & dairy free!)
(makes two 9-inch round cakes)
3 cups gluten-free flour blend (I used Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 baking flour)
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar (I used a blend of maple sugar and coconut crystals)
6 Tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
2 cups milk – can substitute nut/coconut milk for dairy-free version
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F and coat two 9-inch cake pans with coconut oil.
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- In another large bowl, combine milk, applesauce, vinegar and vanilla.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring until smooth.
- Divide mixture evenly into greased pans and bake for 25-30 minutes.
1/2 cup butter – can substitute non-dairy spread for dairy-free version
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk – can substitute nut/coconut milk for dairy-free version
- Combine butter and vanilla, beating until smooth.
- Add cocoa powder and powdered sugar.
- Gradually add milk and beat until smooth. If frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If too thick, add more milk.
- Frost cakes when completely cool.